Saturday, March 30, 2013

Hwy. 80 and Robinson

There are a few traffic boxes along Hwy. 80 that are obviously primed for painting, but have not been painted yet. Skipping Lynch Street, we move on down to what used to be a really popular area - Highway 80 and Robinson Road, at Metrocenter Mall. This traffic box just happens to be close to the old BeBop Record Shop, so of course I had to park there to get my photos (and snap a few of BeBop too). I miss BeBop so much. This particular store was the one I frequented most in my teen and college years. It was where I got my concert tickets and browsed for the latest Dave Matthews, or Beastie Boys, or whatever I was listening to at the time.

This box is signed, but I can't really figure out who it is. It looks like the initials are "POW," but I'm not 100% sure. If you know, please help! You can leave it in the comments below.

I think the idea behind this box is showing progress, in a way. One side has a man on a tractor, plowing in a field, and it looks like he's stirring up a cloud of flowers. The artwork wraps around the box to reveal a more modern car driving through the city, the same cloud of flowers streaming out the windows. I really like the wrap-around boxes, because I think it's more challenging for the artist to come up with something that is continuous. Photographing them is also a challenge, trying to get the right angle to show the "big picture."

Below the pics of the box are a few I took of good ol' BeBop. May she rest in peace.













No comments:

Post a Comment