Sunday, June 17, 2012

Traffic Box Project Guide

Do you live in or around Jackson, MS? If so, have you noticed the pretty traffic boxes downtown? They stand out a lot more than before they were painted, don't they? The City of Jackson commissioned local artists to paint these traffic boxes as a way to provide beautification and public art for all to enjoy.

To me, the colorful boxes are a lot like Easter Eggs. A splash of color nestled among the ordinary greys, greens and browns found in the city. I decided to try to document each box and provide a handy guide so you can find them all for yourself! This will be an ongoing work because only the first round of boxes are complete. According to this article in the Jackson Free Press, the ultimate goal is to have every traffic box in the City of Jackson painted! Right now, they seem to mainly be along the streets of Court, Pascagoula and Pearl. I imagine they will work their way north to Capitol and beyond before it's all said and done.

If I am able, I would like to talk with each artist to find out their inspiration for the way they chose to decorate their box. It was difficult to identify who painted some of these, so if you happen to know, please leave it in the comments or shoot me an email at andi.agnew@gmail.com. I am not really an artist myself, just a fan and a supporter of the arts scene in Jacktown. Please, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment